Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Fiddling



I'm learning this SONG on the fiddle. Recognize it? It's from the movie Titanic - the scene where Rose and Jack are dancing in the basement of the boat. It's my favourite scene from that movie, and I'm so excited to be learning this tune. Of course it will take me a very very long time to get it up to that speed, but I'm working on it! My last fiddle lesson for this semester is next Tuesday ... so sad! All the FolkWork classes (fiddles, ukuleles, bagpipes, flutes, guitars) will be getting together in a huge auditorium. We'll be aplit into small groups where we'll have 1 hour to learn a song. Then we'll perform in front of one another followed by some more music, and some beer, at a local pub. Hooray! 

I honestly can't even explain how happy I am to be playing music again on a regular basis. Once we have a bit more room in our flat, I'd also like to buy a ukulele - and have another go at it! I loved it the last time I played. 

Oh! And I've signed up to volunteer at the Folk Festival in Ottawa - which means ... free tickets!! Ben Harper and Great Big Sea are playing, among lots of other acts. 

And speaking of Ottawa ... only one month left until we're in Canada!! I'm so ridiculously excited. It's going to be a great 2-3 months: lots of seeing friends and family, playing music, doing some volunteer work, enjoying the great Canadian outdoors, and lots of other fun stuff! Can't wait to see you all :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment