Wednesday, 7 November 2012

New Beginnings

The UKBA kindly issued me a brand new shiny Visa, and I have returned to the UK. I was lucky enough to fly first class - thanks to a very generous papa with extra aeroplan miles - something I am unlikely to experience again, or at least for a very long time. It was fab! I had a 5 hour wait in the Philadelphia, so the best part was having access to the executive lounge. Free food, newspapers and lots of quiet spots to sit and read or rest. Then on the plane - wide seats, fold-down chairs, plenty of leg-room and delicious food were just a few of the perks. Of course, I managed to look like a complete rookie. When the business man next to me, who was very kind and lovely to chat to, was pondering what to choose for diner, I exclaimed 'we have a choice?!' to which he replied 'of course!'. A choice, and proper cutlery too. I landed in Brussels, flew threw customs, picked up my suitcase, and checked back in for my next flight - final destination Newcastle. Although there was a slight delay - a baggage cart managed to crash into our plane - it was a pleasant return home. As we passed through the clouds, closing in on the airport - as I drank a fine Belgium beer! - I spotted the Tyne along with all it's familiar surroundings. Good to be back. 

The last 3 months in Canada have been fantastic. It's beyond description how wonderful it was to catch up with old friends and my family. I introduced Richard to Ontario country fairs and to small Québec villages, as we drove to my aunt's for a great weekend visit. We attended my dad and Yvonne's wedding - which was so lovely, and a great occasion to catch up with a good chunk of the Ontario family. We hosted Richard's parents for 4 days which was so much fun, and a great excuse to show off the region. We visited friends in Montréal, and friends in Ottawa - and had lots of good laughs and outings. And finally, I had a great time playing duets with my mom - her on the piano, me on the violin. I was also able to fit in a good amount of working hours in between all the fun, thanks to 2 professors I worked for during my studies. 

Being back is fantastic, but also scary. So many changes in the past few months. I'm looking forward to a new job, but the prospect of looking for work for the next few months is frightening. However, I count my blessings: it's lovely coming back to my love, to good friends, family, fiddle lessons, and a city I adore. I will just have to remain patient. 

Keep in touch loved ones! 


No comments:

Post a Comment