Monday, 6 May 2013

Books - Many!

Just realized I haven't posted about books in a while. I have had much less time to read now that I am working more hours, and an exhausting job, but I am still reading a novel or two here and there! 

When I returned from Canada in November, I had read a few John Grisham novels. They are always good and entertaining, and I usually fly through them! Good travelling books. 

But I've been mostly obsessed with Haruki Murakami novels and short stories.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - by Murakami
This book was extraordinary. It was weird and wonderful. With a superb ending. 

Blind Willow, Sleeping Women - by Murakami 
Read this one after Christmas, it's a collection of short stories. Murakami writes many short stories in between novels. It's a great collection, really enjoyed it. There were some that were better than others of course, but overall, really good read. 

Cloud Atlas - by David Mitchell
Taking a break from Murakami (don't want to get sick of him after all!). This book is strange and wonderful too. I struggled through the first bit, as it's written in old-ish English. But it's certainly worth getting through the first chapter. Every chapter is written in a different time and place with small connections between all of them - not sure how it will all come together in the end! The style of writing is also different in every chapter, reflecting the changing eras in each chapter. It's really different, like reading a collection of short stories that are all connected somehow! I can't believe they've turned it into a movie, seems too complex. Will have to watch it when I'm done the book! 


No comments:

Post a Comment