Our third week in Australia was a quiet one on Bondi beach. This Eastern suburb of Sydney is lovely. Old and new quirky homes, relaxed vibe, and stunning scenery particularly the 'Bronte to Bondi' coastal walk that we've done a few times now. Just came back from a morning stroll - mornings are my favourite time of day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the waves were crashing. Lovely way to start the day. When I got back to the flat I happened to look out just the right time to see a beautiful parrot showing off his feathers. He was bright green on the back and bright red and blue and yellow at the front. He did a little show for me and then flew off. It's interesting that as much as all the activities we're doing are amazing and unforgettable, little moments like these, and a peaceful morning stroll by the sea, are actually my favourite part of travelling. Airbnb has been so wonderful for that. We've felt like a local everywhere we've stayed because you really are living like a local instead of in a hotel district. You are living in a flat the way a local would too. Can't say I don't love a good fancy hotel for a week away but for this type of travelling, a quirky little flat near the beach is just perfect. Can really picture what it would be like to live here.
I'm so grateful for these experiences, and for my life ... I'm truly lucky. Other than strolling around, we went swimming twice. The waves aren't like anything I've experienced before. I was laughing so much the first time I got in. The waves kept knocking me down, it was really funny. The second time we went swimming we rented two body boards, such an awesome experience. The water was warm, but not too warm, and the waves were amazing. I admire surfers, must be so difficult. Other than our swimming and body boarding adventures we just strolled around, ate some good food, and chilled out on the balcony.
Our second week in Sydney was quite different. We transferred accommodation on the Sunday which was really easy. We then took off straight away and walked from Potts Point where we were staying, through the botanical gardens, and to the opera house, Sydney bridge and the Rocks - a cool little area with a market, restaurants, shops and bars. We didn't actually expect to walk for so long but it was a beautiful day so we just kept going! Near the end of the walk we checked out the Museum of Contemporary Art which had excellent free exhibits. In the evening we went to see the movie I've been wanting to watch since I saw the previews; Beauty and the Beast! I loved seeing my favourite childhood movie in real life with the wonderful Emma Watson. The songs were perfect and even Richard enjoyed it to our surprise! We actually saw another movie that week; Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Loved it.
On one day we took a train ride our to the Feather-dale Wildlife Centre. Couldn't go all the way to Australia without seeing a cuddly koala! They are magnificent. We had the privilege of getting close to one (who was very much asleep and looking drunk). We were also able to feed some cute wallabies and kangaroos. We saw a huge crocodile, many types of birds and other interesting animals like a wombat.
On our last day in Sydney, before our flight to Japan, we spent a lazy afternoon across river. We took a 20 minute ferry so we could get a nice view of Sydney Harbour. Off the boat we found a quiet park to have lunch and to sit and relax. The view was amazing but my favourite park was making friends with the Kookaburras. They were so inquisitive and I had fun taking their photo. One even let Richard touch it's back feathers.
After a lovely day in the park, we were off on our Japanese adventure!








No comments:
Post a Comment