Friday, 17 December 2010

A very good week

Loads of updates this week!

But first, some Christmas cheer!

Our little Christmas tree

Our advent calendars


I HAVE A JOB! I had two interviews this week. One for a job as a community organizer, and one as a support worker. I got the latter, which is the one I wanted the most. I will be starting in January, as my CRB (police check) needs to go through first. I am so exited to start! 
-I will be a support worker for an organization that specializes in community mental health services. They help out people  to reintegrate and recover from mental illness. It's a really interesting organization and the people who work there seem really nice and caring. 
-They really invest in their employees and I will receive tons of training! I might even have to travel to Manchester and London for some training sessions. 
-It's part-time but definitely enough hours to live decently. 
-So exited!!! 
When I found out I got the job, Richard came home with a bottle of sparkling wine and took me out for a nice dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant nearby! It was a really really nice evening! 

Starting in January, I will start volunteering as a Teaching Assistant and an Outreach Support Worker with refugees and asylum seekers. This will take up one full day a week but since I am working part-time (about 19-25 hours per week), I will have the time. For the support worker volunteer role, I will be going to women's houses, on appointment, to help them out with making doctors appointments, understand bills, or whatever they need really, like maybe just a nice chat! Can't wait! 

I had my first driving lesson yesterday. I was so scared at first! But it went really well. I'm getting used to changing gears (thanks to Chantal, Tammy and Richard who let me practice in their cars) and driving on the left side of the road doesn't seem that bad. It was kinda funny ... the driving instructor kept correcting me on all the bad habits I have picked up after 8 years of driving (i.e. not holding the wheel properly). It was really hard to concentrate on all those things at once. I kept repeating in my head 'left side, left side, left side, left side...', especially when turning a corner!! So I have 3 more lessons and after that, I should be good to go! 

Had a really random experience yesterday. After my volunteer work (teaching assistant), I was walking to the city center with another volunteer, really nice girl, who is my age. She invited me to attend a free Spanish lesson that was going on that evening! So I accepted, sounded like fun! It was just the two of us and the teacher was really cool. I was surprised at how much I could actually remember!! It was really fun! I think over Christmas I will pick up a 'learning Spanish' book. Then I might take some lessons in the Spring! I'd love to be able to speak fluently. 

I am really looking forward to this weekend! Tonight, we are going out to the SMACS, an award ceremony for websites and design in the North East of England. There is a party afterwards with live music and a DJ. Then on Sunday, Richard and I are having a pre-Christmas celebration! We are making a roast while watching Christmas movies all day (I bought Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Christmas Vacation). The only one missing in my favorite-Xmas-movies-of-all-times is Its a Wonderful Life! Classic. 

So, looks like I am fully settled! I just need to register with a doctor now. 

In case I don't write before then, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas day and a Happy New Year!

Lots of love 

No comments:

Post a Comment