After about 5 weeks of living here, here's a quick update:
-I am the proud owner of a brand new bank account! Hooray! Now, as small a feat as this may seem, it was not. All banks required a proof of address. That was no small feat either! They kept mis-spelling my name and it took about 3 weeks to get that sorted out. I made an appointment this week to open an account at Barclay's. After been given loads of wrong information on what type of account I could open, I basically couldn't open an account: the only account they could offer me was horrible (i.e. only allowed to withdraw 50£ per day). In addition, the consultant said that I needed to get a letter from the Home Office stating that I indeed am allowed to work in the UK. Idiot, that's what a Visa's for! He clearly did not want my business. Anyways, I left there very very frustrated and thinking that every bank will be just as hostile to foreigners. Thankfully, I went to another bank and ... they opened an account for me in 30 minutes!! A normal one at that. Although I have always been sensitive to what immigrants go through when they move to a different country I now understand so much more. I can't imagine going through this with no support system, not speaking English, no money and an education that isn't recognized. They certainly are brave! And I am very lucky.
-I am signing up to the gym tonight! I want to go once a week to the gym, once a week swimming and once a week to a class. I found a really fun (and kinda funny) class called Body Tone that they offer. I went to it Tuesday evening. Its an intensive 45 minute workout and my body was killing the next day. The only thing I will have to endure is the teacher playing the Vengaboys album ... and Richard will have to endure me signing their songs when I get home ;) The Vengabus is coming, and everybody's jumping ...
-I realized this week that I need a NIN (National Insurance Number ... SIN number for the Canadians). Kinda funny actually, I had no idea I needed one! Silly really because I did know that visa-holders in Canada need a SIN. So I will be applying for that once I get the papers in the mail!
-On the job search: Going well all in all. I am now registered with a social care agency. I am calling organizations and applying for jobs daily. Even though some days can be frustrating, most of the time I am staying positive and convinced that I will find something soon.
-On the volunteer search: Awesome! The one I am closest to getting is with Action Foundation. I am hopefully going to be a teaching assistant with refugees once a week. However, I might also be getting involved on the housing issues, since I speak French and some of the refugees are from French-speaking African countries. I might also help out with a reading club and with research. They are an awesome organization, really positive vibe, everybody is calm and nice and smiley. Good stuff!
-I am thinking of taking a course called CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). There are jobs here in this (for instance, with refugees). Seems really interesting! And I would also be able to use this skill anywhere in the world. However, I wouldn't take this class until next year, as I want to focus on work at the moment.
-I'm thinking that eventually, as a career, I would like to work/run an organization for refugees. Kinda like the one I want to volunteer for. Help them find services, housing, friends and integrate by learning the culture and language. I would get to problem-solve all day + hopefully help some of the most vulnerable people in society + meet interesting people. Amazing!
-Life: is great. I am blessed with great friends, an awesome family, an amazing boyfriend, my health and my education. I am almost settled in England.. The only thing missing is a job, and that will come. I am one lucky and happy girl.
Anyways, sorry, this wasn't exactly a 'quick' update!
Looove
No comments:
Post a Comment