Hi all. It's been a while since I posted an update. Mostly because there's been nothing new going on. Working, volunteering, going to the gym, playing the fiddle and spending time with Richard, friends and family has been the routine of the past couple of months since our return from Canada. A wonderful routine!
News on the job front hasn't been so pleasant however. I was offered a fantastic job; the offer was taken back because my Visa is expiring soon. I interviewed for another great job and they didn't care about my Visa expiring; although they really liked me, I was beaten by someone with more experience (and this isn't the first time this happens). It's been a very frustrating few months. To top it off, my current job has been at risk of redundancy. The service that we provide, 24 hour supported housing, was up for tender with the Council this past year (basically the local government pays for the service we provide and every couple of years, various charities get to bid for it). Everyone thought we were a shoe-in, considering Richmond Fellowship has been providing this service for over 18 years. We lost. To a cheaper organization. Bummer. So as of the end of August, we'll be transferred to a new organization called Creative Support. Our jobs are uncertain because they'll surely need less employees: the Council is funding less 'intensive' beds, which means a reduced need for employees.
These past 6 months have certainly tested my sanity. I've never realized until now how sheltered we are in University. Sheltered from recessions, rejections and redundancies!
As a wise man once said:
'Onward my little friend! Re-focus and re-energize. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse. It is really the only logical thing to do.'
Onwards!
No comments:
Post a Comment